Tuesday, February 21, 2012

A Dirty Flash

I worked from home today.  I have stacks of essays piled up around me and I'm swimming in undergraduate writing.  So, naturally, I took time off to write a piece of flash fiction today.  It was Diiiiiiiirty.  I don't know what came over me, but the character in that story was having a quickie with a guy at the bar in a stanky bathroom in a dirty part of Old Town.

The main character electrified me and was a ton of fun to write because she was so unrepentant of her sexuality in the beginning. Of course, the ending took a turn and everything got flipped on its head, but those dirty bathroom moments blew that guy's (and this guy's) hair back.

Sex scenes are hard to write.  They need to have just enough and not too much.  They need to reinvent sex via language in a way so as to not sound like a Harlequin romance or a letter in Penthouse.  I'm not saying I was able to accomplish any of that, but it was a hell of ride trying to give it a try.  I almost needed a cigarette after that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment