Friday, November 9, 2007

Depth

Stories tend to spring almost full form from my mind when they are working. I'm not saying that they are polished, but there is an organic cohesion to them that is present even in early drafts. It isn't exactly an easy process, but in comparison to the revision process, it is a cakewalk.

I am currently revising a story for the third time and really trying to find the ending to it. One that expresses the proper sentiment without falling victim to the trappings of sentimentality. It is a hard process. Each time I come back to it, it shifts a little bit, the main character's understanding deepens and I am forced to look into the very heart of him, which in turn is looking into the heart of my own understanding of life. This story is a true fiction. There is nothing in my life, in terms of events, that has infiltrated this text but there is something of my understanding, my outlook that permeates it. I guess that is where it is hard for me...trying to find what is true for Jack and not true for me, the writer. The story revision is due in a couple of days and I'm hoping that the weekend affords me a couple more days to work on it. Here's to hoping!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment