Thursday, November 7, 2013

Impulses

In light of my last post about big changes afoot, I thought I would begin to describe the impulse that brings me to this place.  I am an enabler.  I don't mean this in the negative pop psychology sense of the word, but, rather, in the sense that I believe myself to be motivated, and even gifted, with the ability to help others achieve their potential.  It is this propensity, this gift, that has lead me to this moment, where I try and turn my gift into something more, to work it, adapt it, and shape it into something that enables not only individuals with dreams, but the dreams themselves.

I want to become a resource for those in my community who are working to carve out a piece of the world that is their own.  I want to assist them in their endeavors by bringing my words, my compassion, my enabling tendencies to the table in order to help them improve their own circumstances.

How does one do that?

In my case, it is by writing.  I am looking to move into the future by being a megaphone for others.  By working in tandem with the people of my community, I want to develop a business where I can function as the ghost writer of dreams and ambitions.  I want to help others capitalize on their gifts by using my own.  In my mind, it is a win-win situation.

I've been looking for a way to write for money.  I'm not ashamed of that.  I love to write, and I want to find a way to do it for the rest of my life.  I write creatively in many forms: stories, poems, essays, etc, but those are not the most lucrative pursuits at the moment.  So, I turn to my past experience as a business professional who wrote marketing materials, request for proposal responses, and other copy in order to create a future where I find myself in front of the blank page.

My former teacher, Jack Driscoll, once said, "The impulse to write is the impulse to love -- to love humans, to love language, to love the world."  I see my new venture as a way of upholding these ideals, a way of embracing them.  The people I hope to work for in the future, after I have finished my LLC application, business plan, and mission statement, are all people I love.  They have been role models for me in many different ways throughout my life, and I see a void in their operations I can fill.  So as I take my first steps into this bright future, rising early into darkened November mornings, and working late into misty evenings, I do so with a passion and purpose that sets me alight, and casts light into what looks distinctly like the future.

5 comments:

  1. Get down on it brother!
    Ain't no time like the present.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, BTW-
      “Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back, always ineffectiveness. Concerning all acts of initiative (and creation), there is one elementary truth that ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then Providence moves too. All sorts of things occur to help one that would never otherwise have occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one's favor all manner of unforeseen incidents and meetings and material assistance, which no man could have dreamed would have come his way. Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now.”
      ― William Hutchison Murray

      Delete
    2. I love the William Hutchison Murray quote. I've never heard it before, but it steels me in my resolve. Thanks for posting.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for reminding me of the Driscoll quote. And I'm so happy about all of this for you. Did this have anything to do with some of our conversations or the materials that I emailed you about PR, etc. afterwards?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katey,

    Yes. All of this is almost in direct response to those conversations/ materials. I'm going to be launching something more soon.

    ReplyDelete