Friday, November 5, 2010

Raindrop Kara-Shea

Grey clouds slide across the sky like silent assassins preparing for a sneak attack.  I'm outside the house with my stalwart companions - Shea and Neera - ensuring the safety of our compound.  Neera, who is on ground patrol, keeps returning with the same suspect - a raggedy tennis ball.  As her commanding officer, I order her to leave the ball alone, but she suspects the thing of terrorist plots. 

Suddenly, from above, the onslaught begins.  Raindrops descend upon my balding skull as I take cover under the eaves, scanning the sky to see if we should wait out the attack or retreat inside.  My second-in-command, Shea, the purple assassin and hothead soldier, takes matters into her own hands.  In the rallying battle cry of a good soldier, she sings out, "Rain, rain, go away, come again another day," and unleashes a barrage of karate blows unlike anything ever recorded in human history.  Each flashing blow is accompanied by a forceful and brutish, "Hi-yah."

The attack is brutal.  The rain never knows what hits it, but Shea is determined and she keeps up her berserker rage until she is out of breath and can't sing the "Rain, Rain" song anymore.  When she is done, she swipes the back of her hand across her forehead and sighs, "Whew."  The rain may have won the battle, but I'll return with my troops on another day.  The war has yet to be decided.  The purple assassin is pleased with the carnage of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment