Thursday, November 4, 2010

The Imminent Window of Free Time

It's freaking November, people.  I can't believe it.  My daughter is talking to me about Santa, we're putting her preschool holiday "concert" on the calendar, and I've already bought a couple of gifts for my wife.  Winter is here.  Sunday is "Fall Back" and the nights will grow increasingly cold and stormy.

With this season comes a break.  A BREAK!  I can't even breathe I'm so excited.  The week of Thanksgiving will mark the steadily decreasing work load that will take me straight into December and through most of January.  I have some ideas.

I want to hang out with my wife in the evenings, rubbing her feet and having a glass of red wine.  I want to spend some December afternoons at home with my daughter for what we affectionately call "You and Me" days.  I want to see my friends.  I want to play cards and maybe have a couple beers.  I want to see "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" in the theater.  I want to go skiing.  I want to read a novel for pleasure.  I want.  I want.  I want. 

I've been giving my energy to others since last Christmas break and I'm exhausted, spent, and ready to recharge.  I'm ready to be a "selfish prick" by loving the things I love for extended periods of time and ignoring everything else.  Tracy...I choose you.  Shea...I choose you.  Kyle...I choose you.  John (Character in my novel)...I choose you.  The rest of you might be shit out of luck if you come asking for favors.  BUT, if you call to chat, to have a cup of coffee, or to see a movie, I'll be overwhelmed with joy that you thought of  me.

I love Christmas, always have; it's my favorite time of year.  This year I plan to celebrate by appreciating all of the blessings in my life: my family, my health, my creativity, and my good fortune.  It's looking to be a magical holiday season.

No comments:

Post a Comment