Sunday, November 7, 2010

The Return of "You and Me Day"

When I was teaching on a four day schedule, I used to have Fridays off.  Fridays were days spent with Shea-at home, at the mall, at the park, at a friend's house-it didn't matter.  It was Shea and I together.  We began calling them "You and Me Days".  As I tucked her in to bed on Thursday nights, I would ask her, "Do you know what tomorrow is?" 

She'd gasp, pull the blankets up to her chin, and say, "You and Me Day?!"

"Mmhmm.  It's 'You and Me Day.'"

When I started the five-day work week, Fridays vanished as "You and Me Day".  So, when I heard that Tracy was going wine-tasting with her girlfriends, I secretly thrilled to the idea of being home alone with Shea.  Now, it's November in Oregon, so the weather wasn't the great.  We couldn't go to the park or anywhere like that, but I was determined to give Shea a fun day.  When I asked her what she wanted to do, she said, "Just stay home."  Again, I was secretly thrilled. 

It's fun to take Shea out of the house, but it's even more fun to stay home and play.  We get out the pretty dress up dresses, the tiaras, the radio, wands, stuffed animals, etc.  There's no end of fun to be had in the house and Saturday was no different.

At one point Shea was dancing on the bed and she was making me laugh so hard I had to go get the video camera.  She's turning into a regular dance floor diva.  I don't know if you will be able to hear it in the video, but she turns back to me at one point and informs me, "This is Lady Gaga."  I'm not sure if I find that cute, funny, or terrifying.  Here's a quick clip of her moves.


We played dress-up, took her babies to an imaginary park, got the guitar and the ukulele out, played music together, and danced away the afternoon.  When I finally left her room to check the time, it was an hour and a half past her nap time.  Oops!  When I finally got her calmed down enough to take a nap, brushed her hair out of her face, and gave her a kiss, she looked up at me and said, "I love 'You and Me Day.'"  I couldn't agree more.

No comments:

Post a Comment