Friday, August 26, 2011

The Challenge

I've been thinking about challenging myself for a while now.  I've gotten a little complacent with my writing practice.  So, I've decided to commit.  I've decided to ask myself for the things I want.  I've decided to write every day.  Now, I've done this before, or attempted it at least, and I've never been able to sustain it for long but I have hope this time around. 

So, here is the basis of the challenge.  I need to write every day for fifteen minutes.  That's it.  Fifteen minutes.  I know that if I sit down for fifteen minutes and write then I will oftentimes find myself writing for an hour, but the first fifteen minutes are the big hurdle.  

The reason for the challenge is I taught a fiction workshop this summer and I was writing almost daily with my students and at home.  It felt great.  I've felt better about my writing practice than I have in the last three years.  So, I want to keep it going.  I don't want to falter.  Here are the steps I've taken to ensure that I keep on my regimen.

* I've set two alarms in my phone that will go off at 9 am and 10 pm reminding me to write every day.
* I've changed the background on all of my computers to display a picture with the text "Write Every Day!!!" written across the front of it.
* I've scheduled two events in Google Calendar that say "Write Every Day" which will come out at 9 am and 10 pm.  These reminders will land in my email each time.

I'm serious about this.  I need to practice.  I need to create.  And unless I get my butt in the writing chair, this will never happen. 

Here's to sustained motivation and practice!

1 comment: