Thursday, July 31, 2008

Back to the Bar

So the week has passed by in a total blur. I have been working at the bar every day this week as the General Manager is preparing to get married. While I know that this situation will not last long, no longer than next week, I have the feeling of stepping backward into an older version of my own life.

I haven't been writing this week, too tired, but I have been diving into my reading. I read John Steinbeck's "Tortilla Flat," on my brother's suggestion. He says it is his favorite book of all time. It is also a personal favorite of a good friend. I don't see it. There are some beautiful passages in the book but I have little to no interest in reading about the aimless.

The next book I picked up gave me the opposite reaction. "Mothers and Sons" by Colm Toibin is a wonderful collection of short stories where there is some mother/son relationship in the stories. It is a beautifully lyrical collection and I am so glad that it came along at the moment it did so that I could cleanse my palette of "Tortilla Flat."

So, not much of an update on the writing but pushing along the best I can. Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment