Thursday, January 19, 2012

More Hilariousness from the Mouths of Babes

Shea's been on a roll lately.  She's been coming up with some one-liners that have had Tracy and I rolling on the floor.  I'll give you a couple examples.

The first one happened when I took Shea to her physical therapy appointment.  We were waiting in the lobby and Shea was talking with the receptionist Melissa.  They love each other and always banter back and forth when we arrive.  I actually didn't know if we were there for physical or occupational therapy, so I asked Melissa who we were seeing that morning.

Melissa said, "Oh, you're seeing Cressa and you can see her baby bump now."

Cressa had apparently recently announced her pregnancy to her office.  This wasn't exactly good news for us because this meant a new therapist, which was the third new one for us due to pregnancies.  I put on a happy face and said, "Oh, Shea, isn't that exciting?  Cressa has a baby in her belly."

She swung her gaze over to me and in the driest deadpan said, "There goes another one," and then swung back to Melissa.

I about lost it.  I didn't even understand where she would have learned to even say such a thing, but the timing and the delivery on it was absolutely perfect.  I was ready to sign her up for improv classes.

The next instance came later.  It was the end of the night and Tracy and I had were getting her ready for bed.  We had just shuffled her off when Tracy accidentally let one "fly."  I was teasing Tracy and telling her it stunk really bad.  I was being overly dramatic and loud in an effort to get her to blush.  I was having a good time with it and hurling jokes at her when, from the other room, Shea says, "You married her."  Just like that.  Nothing else.  Again, it was said in the most matter of fact tone you'd ever heard.

It took Tracy and I a minute to recover.  In that moment, silence reigned until we both looked at each other with tears welling up in our eyes.  Tracy laughed so hard she fell on the bed and buried her face in the pillow.

We just can't get over how big she is getting and how out of control we are in terms of the things that are starting to come out of her mouth.  We have no idea how she is putting thoughts together now, but it sure is keeping us entertained.

No comments:

Post a Comment