Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Nanowrimo - Moving Forward

Now that I've gotten my first 50 out of the way for my writing group, it is time to move forward.  While I have the first act of the novel plotted in a general sense, there are lots of little nooks and crannies that have yet to be explored.

I struggle with the concept of outlining when it comes to my creative work.  For essays I can understand it in a way, but I have often felt constrained by working from outlines in the fiction.  I don't know why that is because I haven't done too much of it in the past, maybe some outdated, unproven bias that I've convinced myself of over the years.

As I push into the next pieces of new work, I will be referring to this loose outline and trying to gauge whether or not I have been denying myself a useful tool due to a previous and unproven assumption about my own process.  We'll see.

All in all, today was a good day.  I wrote 776 new words on the story today and I'm looking forward to marching ahead in the coming days.

Total Word Count: 21,573
Favorite Sentence/Sentences:

The headache that struck Oliver that night might have been the first migraine in what would become the ever-increasing line of vomit-inducing blinders that lead up to him lying in bed and snooping on his neighbors. As he surfaced from his recollections, he observed that the neighbor's patio was empty, his opportunity for eavesdropping gone, and, in the lingering wash of stale cigarette smoke, Oliver again wondered if his father would be disappointed with his actions.

No comments:

Post a Comment