Monday, June 16, 2014

Teacher's Note: End of Term

The last two days have been a whirlwind of essays, late assignments, grades, rubrics, spreadsheets, and exhaustion.  Even in the wee hours of Father's Day, I found myself at the screen, responding to emails, grading online assignments, and drying out my eyeballs.

But...

It is done!  Grades were submitted this afternoon and the term has been put to rest.  As a treat, I allowed myself a meal on the couch as I watched an independent film, Hump Day, by Lynn Shelton and starring Mark Duplass, who is an actor I've come to trust and follow.  Some of you may recognize him from his work on The League.

Image Source
I've already cracked the book Ron Carlson Writes a Story and I've started a cursory rewrite of a piece of flash fiction that I wrote a couple of months back.  Every term starts this same way for me.  After I fulfill my obligations to my students, I burst forth in a frenzy of ambition to read, to write, to hike, to spend time with family.  The week after term is often one of my most creative periods as my desk is cleared of essays and grading.  

Image Source
I'm looking forward to what the week will serve me.  Ah, the life of a teacher!

No comments:

Post a Comment