Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Writer Notes: Digital Storytelling

I recently had the opportunity to attend a session at Lewis and Clark College titled "Digital Storytelling."  It was hosted by the incomparable Kim Stafford and was a session designed to give a quick overview to a new brand of storytelling that has arisen in this age of new, cheaper technologies.

Digital Storytelling is basically a combination of video editing and flash fiction/nonfiction.  It combines the power of image and text in a way that is new and exciting.  With movie and music editing software becoming more affordable and user-friendly, artists like myself and any other person interested in the pursuit are able to package their words in slick new ways.  Here's an example:


This is a powerful personal memoir by Leroy Moore called "The Gift of Nonviolence" that deals with a childhood of abuse and how the author managed to navigate it.  The three minute video shows the power of the medium.

Here's another example that focuses on the idea of identity by Rob Kershaw.  It is titled "Camaro Boy".


The format excites me and I have a few ideas for new pieces that could use this kind of treatment.  The Digital Storytelling session contained multiple freewrite prompts that yielded interesting results, and I've an idea for a family archive project that I think could work well.

Continuing education is a gift from my employer Portland Community College.  They allowed me to attend the session for free.  As a result, I've gained new inspiration for a format of writing that also combines my love of the relationship between image and text (don't forget my love of comics).

If this format intrigues you too, then you might be interested in visiting the site for the Center for Digital Storytelling at Berkeley. After school gets out and finals are graded, expect to see my first attempt at using this new medium here.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this. I hadn't heard of it but can see where it traces back to some of its sources...

    ReplyDelete