Thursday, June 29, 2017

Co-Hosted: Blogging With My Daughter


***I tried this experiment with Shea a couple of months back and forgot to post.  Here it is.***
We've been talking a bit about feelings in the Lang household these days, and it isn't always an easy go.  I've got a 10 year-old girl who is going through lots of different things in her life, and I always want to be close to her.  She expressed some interest in blogging with me and contributing here.  Here's what we came up with:

Me: What would you like to write about?  It should probably have something to do with fathers and daughters.

Her: (after taking a moment to think to herself) How you can get into disagreements but fathers always come back.

Me: What does that mean to you?

Her: That means that fathers always come back.

Me: What do you mean "come back"?

Her: Like after work, come back.

Me: Why is that important after having an argument?

Her: Because that way we know that we love each other.

Me: Is it hard sometimes to talk about things you disagree about?

Her: Yes.

Me: Why is that? Why is it hard do you think?

Her: I actually don't know.

Me: Is it hard to talk about difficult feelings?

Her: Mmhmm.

Me: Can you describe a feeling that is difficult to talk about?

Her: Sadness.

Me: Why is sadness hard?

Her: I don't know.

Me: Is it because it feels like a big feeling?

Her: I really don't know.

Me: Is it overwhelming sometimes?

Her: Nope.

Me: I'm going to have to start getting some longer answers here, honey.

Her: You start.

Me: Ok.  I know that when I feel sad, I can sometimes get real quiet because I don't know how to talk about my sadness without making other people feel bad, or that they need to fix it. What about you?

Her: I don't know.

Me: Do you want to pick a different topic to write about?

Her: No.  It's fine.

Me: So can you say anything more about sadness?

Her: Sadness is just a weird feeling.

Me: Weird how?

Her: I don't know how it is weird, but it is weird.

Me: Do you feel it often?

Her: No.

Me: What about happiness?  Is it easier to talk about happiness?

Her: Mmhmm

Me: So what you could you say about that?  When do you feel happy?

Her: Like when you win an OBOB (Oregon Battle of the Books) battle.

Me: Are there any other times you feel happiness?

Her: When someone does something nice for you?

Me:  That does feel good.  What about when you do something nice for somebody else?

Her: That makes them feel good.

Me: Does it also make you feel good?

Her: Mmhmm

Me: Is there anything else?

Her: Nope.

Me: So, what else would you like to say about fathers and daughters? (silence) Is this hard?

Her: Yes.

Me: So do you want to stop?

Her: Would that be ok?  Is that ok with you?

Me: Yes.

I think I didn't post this originally because I thought it didn't add up to much, but as I sit and look at it now, I realize that it was an important conversation/exercise for me to have with my daughter.  We didn't get to any profound realizations, but she knows that I am open to discussion on what may seem like hard topics to her.

No comments:

Post a Comment