Monday, January 10, 2011

A Lost Thing

Cleaning up my computer, I stumbled upon this thing.  The incident happened a long time ago, but it still gets my goat when I think about it.  It's a first draft poem that has never seen revision.  It's silly and serious.  Hope you like it.


More Than a Title
 
Diapers changed,
Bottle filled,
Pajamas snugged,
Blankie found,
Dinner cooked,
Dishes done,
Floor vacuumed,
Toilets cleaned,
Dog walked,
Groceries put away,
Wife kissed,
Laundry going,
Dryer emptied,
Oil changed,
Leaves raked,
Christmas lights up,
Garbage emptied,
Lullaby sung,
Picture book read,
Good nights kissed,
Blankets tucked,
Doctor seen,
Antibiotics given,
Fever reduced,
Tears wiped away,
Armpits tickled,
Belly blown,
Ballet danced,
Tutu worn,
Princess saved,
Dragon vanquished,
Screams shushed,
Boo-boos kissed,
Bills paid,
Wife reassured,
Grandparents included,
Portraits taken,
School taxi,
Daycare pickup,
Dinner enforcer,
Candy supplier,
Emotional supporter,
Behavior modifier,
“I love you” repeated,
Punishments doled,
Colorings praised,
Monsters shoo-ed,
Nightlights checked,
Tea party attendee,
Midnight fever checker,
Vomit receptacle,
Poop cleaner upper, and
Conflict negotiator.

These are some of my job duties,
Although no one has bothered to write them down.
I do them often, even daily,
With pride and with love,
Occasionally, even with patience.

So, when I run into you at the grocery store,
And you think my daughter’s cute,
DON’T call me the babysitter.

You don’t call a doctor, “Mister.”

No comments:

Post a Comment