Thursday, January 6, 2011

Productivity

I'm walking with a spring in my step today.  Today's good mood is due in large part to the day I had yesterday.  I found myself at home in my office yesterday working on lesson plans for my courses this winter.  I am usually playing catch up on the term as I keep taking on new classes and not repeating ones I have taught before.  But this term I have two classes that are the same AND I've taught three times before. 

This alignment of courses allows me to plan ahead, to anticipate needs, to think of my class as a unified arc and to plan accordingly.  Yesterday, I completed lesson plans that will take me all the way to February 15th.  That means I have only seven class periods to plan for the whole term.  I have the readings in place, I have the in class activities mapped out, etc.  Now, there are always days that get short-circuited, or last minute needs that arise, but for the most part, I am prepared, ahead of schedule even.  It's a good feeling.

So, as I printed my neatly organized materials for my class today, I felt relief and excitement for heading into the classroom.  Here's hoping that the best laid plans don't go awry. 

When I got to the end of the lesson plan on February 15th, I revised a story.  I'm hoping that this level of preparation will free my mind up more so I can focus more on my fiction.  Hoorah!

1 comment:

  1. hey - send some of that good ju-ju over this way. that's a great day! i love being ahead w/ my lesson plans. it is really, really freeing. i hope you continue to post about your teaching/educational experiences. it's helpful to me!

    ReplyDelete