Sunday, March 9, 2014

Promise-ary Note: Making Connections and Writing Letters


My task for the week was to write 3 letters.  I struggled to think of who I should write the letters to, but I eventually figured it out through a series of events that seemed to deliver the recipients to me.

The first person I was sure would be a recipient was Devan Silva.  He was the one who claimed the long box of comics for my last promise.  He's a former student of mine and a great guy.  As a result of the comics promise, we got to talking a little bit and I learned that he is going through a bunch of life changes.  He is approaching graduation, starting work on his senior thesis, and expecting a new baby.  All of this change reminded me of my own experience in grad school. When I was going through my own personal life transformation, I found a couple of men who wound up being personal mentors to me.  In my letter, I offer up my services as a mentor to this young man.  I hope I'm not stepping over my bounds with this letter, but I remember being overwhelmed when I was in Devan's similar situation.  As he works on his thesis (in creative writing and literature), I can offer support.  As he moves into the wholly new realm of fatherhood, I can offer support and advice.  I'm glad Devan appeared at the time that he did, and I'm hoping my letter is well received.

My friends Amy and Brandon at my wedding.

My second letter goes out to an old friend of mine.  I've lost track of this debonair fellow over the course of the last five years, but he's been in my mind a lot recently.  I can't say why he's been on my mind, but the last couple of weeks has had me wondering after him.  He's notoriously hard to get in touch with, so I sent a text message to the last active cell phone number I had for him.  Radio silence.  I did a Spokeo search and wound up finding his parents' phone number.  After talking with his mom for a bit, I wound up getting in touch with him, which was a pleasant surprise.  I love this guy and I can't wait to hear more from him.

The last recipient came about as a fated fluke.  My father, Tracy, Shea, and I went to have Chinese food the other night.  When we broke open our fortune cookies, Shea found this!!!


It was in the cards.  My final letter goes out to my little one.  I wrote her a note of encouragement, telling her how proud I was of her, and I hope she enjoys it.  Tracy offered to mail the letters for me, so they are tucked into her purse and going out in the mail tomorrow.  Mission accomplished.



With each of these letters, I found a way of connecting to someone who plays a role in my life, either big or small.  It was a great exercise in connection.  I enjoyed the process of writing out the letters on my yellow pad.  While the letters are not deep or poetic, they are a way of making a connection with someone who has made themselves known in my life.  That makes it all worth while to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment