Friday, February 28, 2014

Writer's Notes: Writer's Tools

One of the most productive creative periods in my life was the result of my little rodeo notebook.
My trusty companion for a long time.  Now in pieces.
The rodeo notebook was a pocket-sized notebook that I could carry in my back pocket.  I carried that thing with me everywhere for years.  As you can see, it went through some wear and tear.  The binding didn't hold any longer and this is what's left of it.

The rodeo notebook fell apart years ago.  I haven't carried a writer's notebook with me since then.  I think this is a big mistake.  I often have ideas out in the world, in the moment, in the "wilds" of my life, and not in front of the computer.  As such, we need to have a writer's notebook with us to document the stray thought, the line of dialogue, the interesting character sketch that prompts a story.

I put a notebook in my jeans and a pen in my pocket and I'm equipped for any moment of inspiration no matter what.  And that's the idea here!  Writers can't be expected to be in possession of perfect memories.  Every attractive idea that crosses our mind is competing with a million more.  My problem is that the really good idea I had is often followed by another attractive, but less successful idea.  If I don't write down the good ideas, then I'll never remember them all.  I get distracted by shiny, attractive things be they ideas, women, cars, etc.  Just ask my wife.  She'll vouch for me on this one.  The writer's book solves any number of problems.  It allows me to take a moment to write down an idea and then rejoin a conversation instead of obsessing about it while pretending to listen.  Again, just ask my wife.  She's a trusted resource when it comes to my attention, or lack thereof.

So, in the spirit of touting the benefits of the writer's notebook, I'd like to introduce you to my new one, "Trusty Brown."  I had been talking to my wife about how I needed a new pocket notebook when she spied this free giveaway at a Portland Arts and Lectures series event with Chris Ware and Chip Kidd.  A new pocket notebook and free?!  How can life get any better?

My unassuming new pocket notebook!
I've already dedicated the first page to blog post ideas.  I'm still a little behind so I've only been posting on the promises lately, but the sore throat is almost gone and I'm almost caught up on my grading.  Life is good, people!

If you don't have a pocket notebook, get one today!  You'll be surprised at the results.  Let the brainstorm begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment