Tuesday, September 20, 2011

I Clean for You (with apologies to Daniel Letterle)

I cleaned today.  It was a choice.  I have a stack of papers to grade and I should be giving time to my students, but I found myself wanting to do this for Tracy.  She's got a mental checklist like an Excel spreadsheet.  Even when she appears at rest she is calculating the things she wants/needs to get done in the coming days and weeks.  I'm not even kidding.  So, today, because I love her and I want to take things off her plate I did the following:

1. Vacuumed the entire house.
2. Swept all linoleum floors.
3. Steam cleaned all linoleum floors.
4. Cleaned all toilets.
5. Cleaned all sinks.
6. Did every stitch of laundry in the house.
7. Moved new pieces of furniture into place by myself.
8. Moved old pieces of furniture to make room for the new.
9. Picked up all clutter.
10. Loaded up my truck with a load of things that needed to go to Goodwill.
11. Dusted our bedroom.
12.  Installed a new lamp.


13.  Was mindful of things Tracy needs/wants.

And so I pirate and bastardize the lyrics for "I Sing for You" from the movie Camp.

"I clean for you and only you
Wherever I go I find you
You’re in the sound of every brillo
In everything I do."

I love you, baby. 

1 comment: