Friday, September 23, 2011

The Power of Personal Change

Yesterday was my father's 66th birthday.  This fact got me thinking about him, his life, his relationship with me, and it brought me back to a lot of the things I've been going through lately.  I want to change.  I want it badly.  I want to live the life of my unexpressed potential, not the life that is comfortable and safe.

Well, my dad is an example for me.  In his later life, he made the choice to change.  This change resulted in a physical transformation, plus a mental and emotional one as well.  It was a phenomenal process to witness.

My dad and I are different dudes on the surface.  I don't think anyone would really argue with that, but what a lot of people don't know is that we are actually quite similar in a lot of other ways as well. 

Let's do a quick surface inventory.

My father is a fisherman, an outdoorsman, a Republican, a conservative, and an avid sports fan.

I am not a fisherman, somewhat of an outdoorsman, a professed independent who registered Democrat because I wanted to vote in a primary, a liberal, and a fan of the arts.

On the surface we don't mix well, but there are other things that have materialized in the last couple of years that have shown me that I am much more my father's son than I ever would have thought in my younger days.

We are both men who are dedicated to our family.  We are social yet more than comfortable going out and doing things on our own.  We like a good debate (especially if we can get the other person really squirming on the hook).  We are foodies who love to eat and talk about food, recipes, restaurants, etc. 

When I witnessed the struggle, and the subsequent display of endurance, my father experienced when he set out to change, I was moved.  Still am.  He's shown me that it is never too late to take control of one's own life.  Change happens on a day to day basis.  It is the expression of will in the face of temptation.  It is firm resolve and the commitment to stick to a goal.

He makes me proud to have him as a father and I'm working hard every day to make sure he can say the same thing about me.

Happy Birthday, Dad.  I love you and am proud of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment