Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Coming Home

My wife and I celebrated our wedding anniversary this last weekend.  We've been married for under ten years but together for more than a decade.  One of my favorite moments in our entire relationship was the day I came home to her. 

I'd been in Europe for three months, traveling around after college.  Before I left, she told me to go have fun and to not worry about her.  I landed in Amsterdam, spent a day or so traveling around and told her I would stay loyal to her throughout my trip.  I did. 

When the time came to return home, I decided I would surprise her.  I traveled for 2 1/2 days without being in communication with anyone.   No one knew I was coming home.  I took a ferry from the island of Ibiza to Barcelona.  I disembarked and jumped on a train that took me to Paris.  From the Paris train station I took a cab directly to the airport.  I got on standby for a flight from Paris to Washington D.C. and fell asleep in the airport. 

When the time came for the flight to leave for D.C., I was breathless.  I wondered if I was going to be able to get on the plane.  At the last second, the airline employee called my name and I boarded.  The process repeated itself in D.C., but my name was the last one called and I walked on that plane feeling like it was my destiny to go home.

I swiped my card to use the phone mounted in the back of the airline seat, and I called my brother.  He agreed to pick me up at the airport and take me back to Canby.  I knew Tracy was working, so I went to a bar with Kerry and waited impatiently as the clock ticked toward nine.

When I couldn't take it anymore, I had my brother drive me to the bar where Tracy was working.  I was shivering with anticipation.  When I finally arrived at the bar, I practically jumped out of the car before it was parked.  I stormed across the parking lot, threw open the door, and yelled into the full bar, "Where's this hot new waitress I've heard so much about?"

Tracy had her hands full of beers and she damn near dropped every one of them.  She set them down as quick as she could on the nearest table (I'm not even sure if that is where they were supposed to go) and rushed into my arms.  We kissed.  It is the most memorable kiss of my life and the moment I knew that home was inside her arms. 

I love you, Tracy.  Happy Anniversary.

1 comment: