Thursday, October 27, 2011

Reading and the 300th Post!

It's been radio silence here at WTF lately.  I haven't been posting here, or coming to the blank page at all lately.  I've been reading.  I've pounded a couple of books including God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything by Christopher Hitchens, Habibi by Craig Thompson, City of Glass by David Mazzucchelli and Paul Karasik, and Last Day in Vietnam by Will Eisner.  

It's been nice to be on input.  I've taken in, and fallen in love with, each of these books for wildly different reasons, but I felt the need to bring stories/ideas into myself.  I've always been told that, for a writer, reading is like "filling the hopper" and that we can't always be on output.  Well, I've been filling the hopper and I feel ready to burst forth with ideas.  

National Novel Writing Month is in a matter of days and I'm mentally preparing myself for this task.  I would like to dedicate at least an hour a day to writing in November.  This is going to be tough and I'm going to have to sacrifice sleep in order to achieve it, but I have to do this.  The novel has been stagnating for too long and I need to inject some new blood into it.

So, while I feel comfortable with my down time for the moment, I can feel the crescendo of energy coming hot on its heels.  I probably won't be posting all that much to the blog in the month of November, or maybe I will, who knows.  But if I disappear for a month or so, let's hope that we know the reason why.

In addition, this post makes the 300th post to WTF.  I don't know why it seems so significant, but it does.  I imagine 300 half-page to full page entries and I realize that I've written enough to fill the pages of a novel.  See, I've done this thing before.  I don't run out of words.  I can do this.  Hoorah for blogging at its contribution to self-confidence.   

No comments:

Post a Comment