Friday, April 25, 2014

Promisary-Note: Fatherly Fashonista


"Clothes make the man."

"Dress for the job you want, not the job you have."

Or, to quote the hilarious Barney Stinson from How I Met Your Mother, "Suit up!"

This week's promise is all about appearances in a way, but also not.  Fashion and the choices we make in how we present ourselves has a big effect on a person, whether they like to admit it or not.  This week's promise is an attempt to live a little "classier" that I normally do, to take some extra care and pay some extra attention to how I present myself.

I am born and raised in the American West, which is quite possibly one of the most casual places on earth.  As such, I am a jeans and t-shirt kind of guy.  I'm all fleece jackets and sandals, shorts and baseball hats.  I love that kind of attire.  I feel at home in it, but that doesn't mean I have to do it all the time.

In preparation for this week's promise, I took some time out of my day to actually break out the ironing board and iron some of my shirts for the week.


Dressing up is about care and attention to detail.  I work in pretty casual environments, so it isn't always going to be about suits this week.  Can you imagine me serving burgers and fries in my best suit?  I don't think so.  Because of this, I'm going to have to consider what it means in all kinds of separate situations.  At school I can wear my suit, or a sportcoat, but that won't do in other situations.

So, this week has me considering fashion and how it changes the way I move through the world.  I'll keep you posted.  I'm getting geared up and ready to go.


No comments:

Post a Comment