Thursday, November 14, 2013

Work Life Balance

Any time one decides to take on extra work, an additional project, or just a couple hours of overtime, the threat of upsetting the work-life balance becomes immediately real.  In the last couple of weeks, I have found this to be true.  Like a new romance, new endeavors can have their romantic period, a time flush with the fever of the new and unknown.  A project can be seductive, distracting a person from his normal mental routines and causing him to become a touch obsessive about the object.  The danger here is losing track of all other aspects one's life.  With this in mind, I began researching work-life balance to see if others had similar experiences and/or tips for remaining balanced in periods of change.  Here is one man I've found who asks some of the same questions.

His name is Alain de Botton, and he is a writer who brings philosophy into the everyday.  He is also the founder of the School of Life, which is a social enterprise that questions the basics of life and tries to make learning and therapy relevant.  I first found him on GoodReads when I ran into this quote:


“There is no such thing as work-life balance. Everything worth fighting for unbalances your life."


I wasn't on a roll in terms of finding those tips that would lead to a greater sense of balance between work and the rest of my life.  I was encouraged by this quote though; it validated something I've been experiencing lately.  For example, sleep is something that is taking the back seat these days.  About twice a week, I am up at 3:30 a.m. working on new material or reading books like Jay Baer's Youtility, but I am also up at 6:30 to get Shea ready for school.  It isn't a lot of sleep, but I do feel pretty good because I'm working on things I enjoy, on a new direction for the family.


What this does provide me though is a fair bit of anxiety.  New projects and new endeavors, change of any kind really, can be nerve-racking, and I do sense that I am a little wound up.  That's when I dug a little further into Alain de Botton and found his TedTalk.  


If you aren't familiar with Ted.com, then you need to follow the link immediately.  There are talks on all kinds of subjects available there.  Everyone will find something they enjoy.  After all, their motto is "ideas worth spreading."  But that is a little off topic.


After a couple of minutes of listening to his talk, I found this quote, “It’s perhaps easier now than ever before to make a good living.  It’s perhaps harder than ever before to stay calm, to be free of career anxiety…”  In all my talks with friends, family, customers at the bar, and students at the college, this does seem to be true.  So many people I talk to have this anxiety in one form or another, so I wonder what it is I am chasing.  What ideal of work-life balance is there out there?  


It isn't that the idea is unimportant, but it is an ideal that may be un-achievable if one is working hard at challenging one's self.  This feeds into Alain de Botton's concept of success and failure that he talks about in his Ted Talk.  I'll be working on this balance my whole life because I know myself well enough to know that I'm always in search of the next challenge, the next adventure.  I'm not willing to sacrifice my time with my family and friends, but I am willing to lose maybe an hour or two of sleep in pursuit of the next challenge that presents itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment