Tuesday, December 10, 2013

6 Literary Holiday Gifts

As folks prepare for the holiday season, I hope they will consider giving the gift of books.  A book can say so much to the recipient.  It says I love you enough to challenge you.  It says I want to give you the gift of relaxation, of time, of an hour to yourself.  Books transport us to another place and allow us to learn about people who are unlike us.  It broadens the mind and inspires us to do things beyond ourselves.  Here are a few of the books I've loved over the past year and beyond.

1.  Flashes of War by Katey Schultz



This collection of short stories and short-short flash fiction stories gives a glimpse inside modern warfare.  While it may not feel like the kind of sentimental literary gift that screams Christmas, it is a great book for the man in your life, or the reluctant reader.  The flash fiction pieces can be read in a single sitting, even on the "throne."  The person will be transported to places they can barely imagine, into lives we all can relate to, and into landscapes we all must pay attention to in this modern time.

2. The Magicians by Lev Grossman



This book is perfect for anyone who loved C.S. Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia series when they were a child.  Grossman has created a world of magic that feels more timely, grittier, and more adult than the Narnia books.  While it is billed as a coming of age story, it is much more than that.  It is a book about finding purpose in a life.

3.  Saga Volume 1 by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples

This genre-bending title is adults only.  It's perfect for the sci-fi nut in your house.  If you know someone who can quote lines from Star Wars or Star Trek, then this is the title for him.  It's a sweeping galactic narrative, but it is also a family tale full of rich characters and wonderful artwork.  It alternates between the humorous and the serious, so it never grows stale.

4. Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor


I picked up this title during the summer when I was on the search for "brain candy."  The search for light literature that would transport me to another world led me to Laini Taylor.  I had heard of the title via a senior thesis student at Pacific University.  After reading a critical essay about the title, I thought I should see what the original was all about.  What a pleasant surprise!  While this first book is very much a paranormal romance, the world Taylor has created is rich, rich, rich, and the sequel builds upon this and moves beyond the straight romance of the first book.

5. Peace Like a River by Leif Enger

Literary fiction as it should be.  Enger's book is a fascinating look at a good family in bad circumstances.  His portrayal of Reuben Land, the 11-year-old narrator, is breathtaking.  I never once doubted the perspective of the novel.  If you are looking for a family story, a father-son story, a crime caper story, or the story of miracles in a regular life, then this is the book for you.  This book reads like poetry in places.

6. Anything by Ron Carlson




The man is a miracle!  I discovered Ron Carlson when I was in my first year of grad school.  The first book I read was The News of the World, but I went on to pick up his other titles, like At the Jim Bridger and  Plan B for the Middle Class, immediately after.  His short fiction inspires me more than any other writer.  His ability to capture "real" life in a way that highlights the drama present in our every day is second to none.  I finished his novel The Signal about a month ago.  While I still prefer his short fiction, he won me over with this novel about a couple taking their last backpacking trip into the Wyoming wilderness before they finally say goodbye and dissolve the relationship.  While it is a tale focusing on the relationship, there is gun play, a kidnapping, and action aplenty to keep people reading.  Pick him up today!!!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Kyle. I just posted a list of good poetry gift books today. We're on the same track! I appreciate the nod - and nice to be in such good company! At the Jim Bridger was delightful. Have you read Speed of Light or Tabloid Dreams?

    ReplyDelete