Friday, December 6, 2013

The Road to Finals

The last two weeks have been a flurry of grading and student conferences.  As such, I haven't been able to dedicate much time to the blog, but I will be redoubling my efforts in the coming weeks.

In the weeks leading up to the end of a term, a teacher's schedule gets quite hectic.  It's also the most exciting time of the term.  I have phone conferences, email conferences, office visits, etc.  Each of these meetings usually begins with the student asking questions about how they pass their class, what their grade is, or other things I can't blame them for being concerned about.

Then, the conversation turns to the writing.

When the conversation finally comes around to the purpose of the class, I get the chance to really see how far these students have come in the few short months they are in my care.  I've been so encouraged by the conversations I've had with this current batch of students.  They've really been paying attention and working hard.  I can see it in their drafts, in their understanding of what it is they are doing, and the types of hard questions they are asking about how to better develop their individual topics.

It's an exciting time of year.  It's a busy time of year, but you'll be hearing from me soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment