Friday, April 6, 2007

Inexperienced Revision

On Wednesday I really got to thinking about how the schedule was working for me when it came to the generation of new material and I have to say that I'm still feeling good about it. Now there is another element to this process we call writing and that is revision. I have to say that I haven't spent a lot of time on revision in the last year and it is going to become a HUGE part of the next year. As I move closer to my thesis, I have to begin considering which stories I am going to be able to work with and make better. There are a couple of stories that I know I will NOT be revisiting because I feel that they are so off the mark that what they really need is a whole new creative imagining and I'm better served just starting over with some of the inspirations that led to the story in the first place.

That is one thing that I am able to do: maintain an inspiration. Once I have an idea in my head to write a story, I write it. I may have to go through two or three re-imaginings before I get there but I will get there. The first story will look NOTHING like the third or fourth but the core, the heart, of the story will still be the same. I believe that when I sit down to write a story, even when I do it poorly, I have a truth to be told. A lot of time where my stories go wrong is I'm not listening to what is actually taking place with my characters. I get wrapped up in what I want to accomplish with the story and I wind up taking it in totally misguided directions.

It is the next step in my evolution as a writer and I look forward to being able to make my stories better and the characters who live there become three dimensional.

No comments:

Post a Comment