Monday, October 8, 2007

A Weekend with Nothing But Reading

So I took some days off this weekend after four grueling back-to-back days of writing, revising, and general brain twisting. I took some time off and just read, refilled the hopper. I pounded down this book The End of America - Letter of Warning to a Young Patriot by Naomi Wolf. Very interesting stuff paralleling our democracy with other democracies that have come before us (those that came before moved into a totalitarian or authoritarian structure). There were a lot of references to current events and how these individual events add up to a larger problem. I liked the fact that she really tried to keep it based on constitutionality. She had to involve the Bush Administration because they are the current administration but the issues she is speaking about involve all future administrations as well and how, right or left, we all need to be vigilant in protecting our individual rights.

Also, I read some manuscripts for the literary magazine I am working on. There was some good stuff in there and I'm hoping that I can leverage some votes for the ones I like. I already saw that one of the editors did not care for a piece I did, so I might have to come to its defense.

So, hopper full, I am setting off tonight to re-immerse myself in my newest story and the ever-present essay. It should be interesting. I know there is a lot of work that still needs to be done and I'm hoping that with a fresh mind I will be up to the task.

No comments:

Post a Comment