Sunday, April 13, 2014

Promise-ary Post: Dropping off the Grid

My latest promise was to be a little selfish and drop off the grid.  This proved a little harder than I thought.  First, in order to drop off the grid, I needed to ensure that all of my responsibilities were done for the week.  I caught up on grading, made sure my family was good, and that the restaurant didn't have any emergencies.  When all was said and done, I was able to turn my phone off and head to Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

Image Source
While I was in the theater, my phone buzzed twice.  Once was a call from my wife and one was a call from the owner of the restaurant where I work.  As much as I wanted to get off the grid, my life wasn't letting me.  As a result, I've taken the last two weeks to get away from the internet, the blog, and social media as a whole.  I peeked in here and there, but I did not engage with it on the level I normally do.

What did I learn from this?

Well, I learned it is my natural state to be "unplugged."  I love being untethered from the multiple avenues of stimuli that bombard me every day.  I've kept up with my promises, kept engaged with work and with family, and I haven't noticed a large negative side to the "loss" of my electronic life.  It puts things into perspective for me and I feel like I may try and find other opportunities to unplug in the near future.  The weeks I've been offline have been fulfilling ones and I've used the time to do some fun things with family and friends.

It's not a bad thing to wean ourselves off our devices every now and then.

As I was working on putting this post together and looking at ways in which I could frame it, I found this post from a blogger in Australia.  While I don't agree with the entire breakdown of the post, I do find much of what she has to say enlightening.

The promise post that followed "dropping off the grid" was to clean the house.  Domestic work leads to domestic bliss, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment