Thursday, January 15, 2009

Residency - Day Six

Time is getting away from me. I've been allowing myself to be distracted from my purpose while I am here. The social networking, the drinking, the entertainments have all begun to crowd the time I'm supposed to be writing. I need to be firmer in my resolve to use this time wisely.

The craft talks are amazing as always. I find myself not taking as many notes, not being as enthralled in the presentations as I was in years past. It's not that it's not great information. It's not that it isn't good advice, hints, tools to employ. It seems that I have changed. I incorporate their information more readily, I follow the trains of thought almost intuitively. There are flashes of brilliance where I am writing things down, but for the most part I can see the DNA of the craft talk, the inspiring idea, and the how that DNA will express itself by the time we are ten minutes into the talk. It's strange but comforting.

The reading last night was lovely. Stephen, John, and Leslie all read. It was a poetry sandwich: prose went first, poetry, followed by prose. There was a lot of humor in the reading and it felt good to laugh, to make light, to look at the ridiculousness of our own frailties. A good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment