Saturday, January 31, 2009

Signs and Signals

This week has been full of unexpected encounters. I have seen more old friends/acquaintances in the last week than I have in a long time. Today, in addition, is a dinner party at my house where my oldest friends in the world will be here. I'm very excited to have them around. There is even a last minute addition of a guy who lives in San Diego, CA. He emailed me and said he was going to crash our party. It was a message out of the blue.

I'm prone to think about what life is trying to teach me when things like this happen. I tend to think that life offers us up lessons and experiences that are meant to be understood and/or experienced.

With people popping up on the fringes of my life, I wonder what life is trying to tell me about my connection to this place, this community. I can't say what it is that I know about the lesson, but I know that something is roiling beneath the surface, wanting to spring free. It may be that I have just finished reading An Unfinished Life by Mark Spragg, where I felt the author did an amazing job of painting a small town community and populating it with all the different people that make places like Canby a memorable place to be, a place that allows you to sink roots into the region, into its people, and enfolds you like river water when you sit with your back upstream.

No comments:

Post a Comment