Friday, February 6, 2009

Having Fun

The possibility of this monthly column is yielding some interesting results. The format, which I've chosen is 300 words for now, is a manageable chunk of writing that can be done anywhere, anytime. Also, I am trying to stick to 300 words EXACTLY which poses some interesting challenges in terms grounding the story in the setting and still having enough room to inject some kind of tension.

The idea I'm working with right now is that I'm visiting physical locations around my hometown. Trying to evoke Canby in all of its forms. I'm mentally revisiting locations from my own childhood/adolescence that I haven't thought of in a long time. I'm resurfacing memories and situations that I haven't thought about in over a decade or more. I find myself in the company of long time friends, in our youth and exuberance, exploring our independence.

I placed a call to the man who offered me the job and asked him to send me his contact information so that I can send him a proposal for my idea. Canby through its geography as seen through the eyes of one man, one child, one resident, and hopefully reaching out to others who know the same places, or find new ones, and evoking the past and present of a small town I love.

Too much fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment