Monday, February 2, 2009

An Interesting Proposition

I was sitting on a milk crate outside the bar, reading, waiting for my shift to start when a man I know from way back, a family friend, my childhood best friend's older brother, greets me. He has a stack of small newspapers in his hand. He's been putting together a local paper that focuses on businesses and the community in my home town. He wants to know if I will write for it. He wants some shorty shorts to fill the pages. Kind of a Garrison-Keillor-Prairie-Home-Companion slice of life segment that will appear in the pages monthly.

I have to say that I'm intrigued by the deal. Intrigued at the idea of writing 250-500 word short stories that could possibly be serials, possible standalone. It would be a good exercise, an assignment in brevity. I'll have to try it out in the coming days and see if I can possibly make something happen.

It's weird how these things come about, these opportunities to write, to put the work out there. Plus, he said he would pay me $100 a month for my segment. A PAYING OPPORTUNITY! I have to get my ass in gear.

No comments:

Post a Comment