Monday, February 16, 2009

Lesson Plans

I'm three hours early to work and take the corner booth. I set up my computer, pull out papers to be graded, the anthology I have to read, and set to work on preparing my lesson for Tuesday. I don't feel like I've connected with my classes yet and I really want to come prepared on Tuesday with something practical they can wrap their minds around. I believe I've found it.

Authority. Author-ity. No more hedging and qualifying. These students need to learn the art of stating what they mean without worrying if they got it all wrong. Say what you mean. No more "in my opinion," "could," "possibly," "maybe," etc. The list is long but the lesson will allow them to have a checklist they can use, along with Word's "Find" function, to instantly tighten up their writing and become confident writers who can state things clearly and succinctly without the timidity I find in almost EVERY paper.

I'm excited.

Also, tomorrow I will begin class with one of my favorite poems for undergraduate students. "Introduction to Poetry" by Billy Collins. This poem expresses the sentiment I have often felt in literature classes and my students have expressed to me. Sometimes poetry needs to be read not to analyze but enjoy, to allow the words to wash over you for the sheer experience of hearing them, reading them, absorbing them as a whole.

Yeah, I'm excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment