Thursday, October 21, 2010

Superfan

I watched Superman again tonight.  It's been a long time since I've seen it but I was immediately transported to that place and time, to being a child.  The movie was a formidable one for me.  I was familiar with the character from Saturday morning cartoons and from the old black and white television show that used to air on Sunday mornings, but I'd never seen anything quite like Richard Donner's work.

My love for all things comic might have been solidified at this point.  I'd always loved the cartoons, the campy Batman show, but Donner's version of Superman gave a maturity and complexity to that world that I didn't realize could exist.

It would be years before I was re-introduced to the comic book and all the lovely forms it can take, but there is something about that first Superman movie that goes beyond simply my fan boy craze for flying superheroes that shoot lasers out of their eyes (which is still cool, I don't care who you are).  It felt good to be a boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment