Sunday, October 10, 2010

It's nice to meet you...again.

The drive up to the Resort at the Mountain found Tracy and I alone in the car together.  I had made a couple of playlists together in honor of our anniversary and we listened to them as we drove the back roads between Oregon City and Sandy.  We opted out of taking the highway on the way there.  The weekend's pace was already being established, even as we traversed the first five miles. 

I sang to her as we drove.  They were new songs, songs she didn't know, but I knew some of them by heart already.  She smiled sweetly and rolled her eyes a bit.  We talked over the radio, and she talked over my off key crooning.  The land between Carver and Sandy is full of farm/ranch land and ranch style houses that make Tracy and I envious.  We want to be out of town, on our own acreage some day and these country drives are a little tantalizing.

The sky was grey as we pushed our way up the mountain, but this is exactly what Tracy and I wanted.  We wanted an excuse to do NOTHING.  Mother Nature obliged us all weekend long. 

We had cocktails and a nice dinner that first night.  Both events were full of conversation.  As the evening progressed, the conversation continued.  We talked and talked and talked.  We lit the fire in our room, cuddled up on the couch while the sliding door was open a crack to keep us from overheating.  We lit candles, watched the fire, and poured some wine.  We settled in and we talked and talked for hours on end.  We hadn't had a day like this in forever.  No little voice asking for toys, a trip to the bathroom, etc.  No dog wanting to be played with.  No papers to grade.  It was heaven.

I got reacquainted with my wife over the last couple of days.  It was a great delight to find I found her as deeply passionate, engaging, honest, and compassionate as our early days.  She's still that dynamic young woman who swept me off my feet.  Sometimes, it simply takes taking a moment to look.

No comments:

Post a Comment