Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Slowness Enables Productivity

Dear Universe,

Thanks for allowing me a couple of days rest this weekend.  Since my return I have been able to conquer more than 40 essays, 4 lesson plans, and retain a bit of my sanity.  On a normal weekend I would have allowed my work to creep into my leisure but I made a solemn promise that I wouldn't this weekend.  I promised myself I would make myself available to my wife.

Well, even though I had some anxiety about the whole situation on Saturday night, I was still able to accomplish all the things I was meant to accomplish.  In fact, what I found is that my concentration has improved.  Normally I have to take a break after about three student essays in order to clear my mind and to rest for a moment.  Since I allowed myself some true rest, some leisure time without work, I've been able to boost my productivity.

I'm still reading In Praise of Slowness by Carl Honore for my FYS class.  The concepts speak to me like nothing else I've read in a long time.  I'm glad I chose it as my text.  I knew by the title alone that Honore understood my dilemma.  Let me quote you one of my favorite passages from that book.  Honore writes:

"The Slow philosophy is not about doing everything at a snail's pace. It's about seeking to do everything at the right speed. Savouring the hours and minutes rather than just counting them. Doing everything as well as possible, instead of as fast as possible. It's about quality over quantity in everything we do."

I love this idea because it is so familiar.  It feels like a Grimm's Fairy Tale I've forgotten.  "Oh, yeah, quality over quantity.  I remember that."  Often the best advice is the simplest.  So, I'm going to try and rededicate myself to the ideal.  I'm trying to take this one to heart.

So, Mr/Mrs Universe, anything you could do to enable this transition would be swell.  I could use a break.  They say if you want something to come true than you should speak it.  Well, I'm praying that writing serves the same function.  Thanks for listening.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you're reconnecting with your inner tortoise - and reaping the benefits. Very glad to hear it.

    More power to you!

    Carl Honoré

    ReplyDelete