Thursday, October 28, 2010

Clint McCance

I know I was supposed to dedicate this week to the Joy Narratives, but this issue came to my attention and I couldn't help but do my part to spread the word.

Recently, an Arkansas School official posted a Facebook post in response to Spirit Day.  A day where people were supposed to wear purple in support of homosexual teens.  The vitriol and hatred present in this post was despicable.  McCance even called for all homosexuals to kill "thereselves".  This is a man who makes decisions that control the education of young minds.  In my opinion, this kind of individual is the most dangerous sort of person to have in control of curriculum.  He should resign immediately.

I can't fault him for speaking his opinion out loud.  Most times people who feel this way are dictated by shame and fear of social retribution.  I think if there is any chance of eliminating this kind of prejudice we have to allow these people to speak their minds so at least their thoughts exist in the public domain.  McCance at least stands by his convictions and lets people know his bias.  His comments should spark a dialogue, an exchange between people that discusses the value of a life, EVERY LIFE, and how harmful these kinds of comments can be to young minds. 

I won't even begin to discuss the grammar of the post itself.  This from a man in charge of education?!

For more information on the situation, you can follow this link.

No comments:

Post a Comment