Thursday, January 9, 2014

Promise Kept #1

For those of you who missed it, I've decided to avoid New Year's resolutions this year.  In its place, I've decided to keep 52 individual promises instead.  Each promise coincides with a week of the year.  I got this idea from listening to Tell Me More on Oregon Public Radio.  Michel Martin interviewed Social Entrepreneur Alex Sheen.  Alex believes in the power of promises so much he founded the organization Because I Said I Would.  He believes we should be more concerned with making promises and keeping our word than with unsuccessful resolutions.  I agree with him and I believe it is worth a shot.


Last week, I pulled a piece of paper from the tin bucket I've placed in my kitchen.  It contained a single promise that I swore to execute over the last seven days.  It said, "Say 'no' to someone."  I often have an issue of over-committing myself when people ask me for things.  I simply don't say no.  It was entirely appropriate that I randomly drew this promise this week because it was the first week of the new term at PCC.  It is a time when students are asking for special concessions and late adds.  It is a time when I must say no in order to keep my class size manageable.  It is often hard as students often have hard luck stories that pull on your heartstrings, but it is important to preserve the smaller classroom environment, both for my work load and student learning.

The permission to say no extended beyond work though.  I found myself feeling more comfortable saying no to small little things throughout my life, both at work and at home.  Shea received a couple of those nos, which is not a bad thing at all.  It's good to remind yourself that it is okay to tell your children no, even if it is something you do on a regular basis.  That sense of permission, of forgiveness, is empowering.  Overall, the week has been a good one.

In order to keep myself on task, I've made promise cards a feature of my wallet.  I've placed them in the see-through window of my wallet in front of my license.  I'm hoping this visual reminder will be enough to keep me on task.  In addition, I've set a reminder in my calendar on my phone so I remember to draw a new promise each week.

As you can see below, this week is going to be a great one.  I get to take myself for a drive in the country!!!  I'll try and remember to take pictures for all of you.


1 comment: