Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Bar Notes: Orenco Taphouse

Last night I got the opportunity to head over to the Orenco Taphouse on 1198 NE Orenco Station Parkway in Hillsboro, Oregon.  I was meeting a friend and colleague from Pacific University there and it was close for both of us as I was teaching that day.  As per my usual, I arrived early.  I'm habitually punctual, can't help it.  As I'd never been there before, it took me a minute to identify the place in the dense neighborhood of Orenco Station.  Once I did, I was in for a treat.

Image courtesy of Yelp
The Taphouse is a minimalist space on the corner, and upon entering you get a nice open feel to the place.  The style is industrial, with a lot of concrete, steel, and high ceilings, but with most of the tables occupied on a Tuesday night at six, it felt warm and inviting.  It was nice to step out of the rain and into this friendly space.
The service at Orenco Taphouse is minimalist too, in the good sense.  Customers are greeted with a giant television above the bar that displays the 20 rotating beers currently on tap, their relevant details (hop source, ABV, etc), and the price.  It even displays the style of glass you will get with the ounces displayed alongside the price.  It is full disclosure at the Orenco Taphouse.  There is even a clever graphical display that tells you how full the kegs are.  See the image below for what I'm talking about.

Photo courtesy of Home Brew Talk discussion board user Fuzze Wuzze
This board is actually from Bailey's Taproom, but Orenco Taphouse uses the same technology.
When you finish reading through the choices on the board, you step up to the bar and place your order for a taste or a glass.  The servers behind the bar were knowledgeable and friendly.  I was impressed by their ability to discuss any of the beers on tap.  The Taphouse isn't a table service type of joint.  This is very much a belly up to the bar kind of establishment.

Also, they don't serve their own food, but work in conjunction with other local businesses to have food brought in.  They have some light bar snacks for $1/$2, but you are otherwise phoning in your order.  I think this is great.  Orenco isn't trying to be everything to everybody.  They bring the beer and their knowledge to the party; let others take care of the food (which could be my new party philosophy!).

I had a glass of Cascade's Bipolar Imperial IPA and a Pils by Commons Brewing.  Both beers were excellent examples of their style.  I could have stayed and had more, but I had to beat feet before I had to phone for a ride home.  Always drink responsibly, folks!

Overall, I had a great experience at Orenco Taphouse.  It was exactly what one should expect from a taphouse: good beer and good conversation in a casual, drop-in neighborhood environment.  I will return when I'm meeting people on that side of town.


Thanks, Brent Johnson, for the invite and for bringing the A-game conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment