Saturday, February 1, 2014

Father Notes: Drawing with your Kids

Shea and I took a couple of moments today to sit down together and break out the art supplies.  Shea asked if I could show her how I make faces in the "detailed" way.  I make cartoony type faces, nothing fancy, but Shea asked to learn something specific from me, so we sat down together and each began to work on our drawings.  I went shape by shape, line by line, in an effort to show her how I draw my faces.

Shea's drawing didn't look anything like mine, even though I know she was trying to imitate me.  While she drew, I repeated my original directions ONLY.  I tried to not over-correct unless she asked me for help.  When she did, I gave a little pointer here and there.

So, what's the reasoning here?  Well, I think we are too quick to try and make our little ones into perfectionists.  I know I am guilty of this at times, jumping in when a word is mispronounced, or taking over a chore/project in order to show her the "right" way to do things.  It's not a great habit of mine.

Somehow though, when it comes to art and creativity, I tend to be a little more forgiving.  I realize that each person's art is their own, that their style needs a little space, a little light and air, in order to grow.

What usually results is something new and interesting given its own space.  So, after a couple of minutes of working on a face, Shea decided that her picture needed a background.  She told me to draw Rapunzel for her.  There was a princess book lying nearby and so she gave me my creative prompt based on that.

Shea's drawing turned out great, full of color.  The background really makes the picture pop.  Mine is a simple imitation, which has its own merits in terms of learning to draw.  It was a nice little break in the day.

Shea's artwork:


Mine:


Sometimes it is hard to let our little ones color outside the lines, or do their own thing, especially after they asked for some help, but I think it's important to let them discover their own way of doing things.  I'm usually pleased beyond belief when I see the final results of these creative efforts.

1 comment:

  1. I SO NEEDED this today and lately. Thank you for sharing!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete