Friday, February 28, 2014

Promise-ary Note: Promise #8

I've drawn the new promise for the week:


I love getting mail, and this promise is the beginning of what I hope will be a correspondence relationship.  I have a couple of people in mind, but I haven't fully decided who I will mail letters to yet.  This will be a paper letter with an envelope and a stamp.  I know, right?  Completely unheard of in this day and age.

I love the idea of letters.  It's a romantic notion, a meditative one.  A handwritten letter is the opposite of instant gratification.  Letter writing is the art of meditative affection.  It means that you were sitting in a location thinking only of another person, imagining them, creating a conversation out of thin air with them.  It is focused energy and devotion.  A person who writes you a letter is someone who cares, who had taken time out of their day to think only of you.  It is the type of friend I want to be, but often am not.

So, to you three lucky recipients of my letters, know that I'm writing to you out of a deep and abiding love and affection.

No comments:

Post a Comment