Saturday, March 15, 2014

Promise-ary Note: Promise #10

For those of you unfamiliar with my 52 promises project, you can read more about it here.

I've almost made it a through a quarter of the way through the year, which is better than I normally do with my New Year's resolutions.  I'll admit that having a promise a week can be a bit stressful at times.  It puts a bit of pressure on me to actively work to improve myself, which is the point of the project, the point of New Year's resolutions for most of us.  It's been difficult to keep up with the time frames some times, but I'm working to keep up and actively finding the space in my schedule to be true to the promises I make.

This week is a writer's promise.  I don't often make time for my fiction, which is my love, and I need to improve in this regard.  I always need to improve in this regard.  So, I promise to work on a flash fiction piece this week.

For those of you unfamiliar with flash fiction, it is a short-short story.  The definitions vary, but I usually hold myself to 1000 words or less when I am working to create a piece of this nature.  I have a tendency to write longer stories, so 1000 is a tight fit for me.  500 might be a unique and interesting challenge, but I think I will go easy on myself and work within the 1000 word guideline.

Image Source

Wish me luck.  This things usually start with a piece of dialogue for me, so good thing I'm working at the bar tonight.  There should be plenty of opportunities to eavesdrop!

If the idea of flash fiction intrigues you, then here are some examples:

Katey Schultz - Paddy the Albino 
Bruce Holland Rogers - Divestiture
Amy Hempel - The Rememberer
Neil Gaiman - Down to a Sunless Sea

No comments:

Post a Comment