Monday, September 27, 2010

The Madness of a Narrative's Infinite Possibility

He's haunting me a little.  The dead man.  I think about him a lot.  I don't think I mentioned this in my last post about him but he appeared to be around my age, at least within ten years.  He was a young man.  I don't know his name.  I don't know what happened to him.  I don't know if his family has been notified, if there is a service, if anyone will attend.  I don't know anything and so I run eventualities through my head.

He was hit by a train.  An accident.  His family is searching for him.

He was drunk and fell off the cliff.  He had a terrible relationship with his family.  No one has even noticed he's missing.

He was accosted by thugs and beaten to death for the few dollars in his pocket.  That's where his shoes disappeared to.  They took them, the thieves.  He's married.  He left the house after a fight to get drunk.  His wife thinks he left her.

The possibilities here are infinite and I'm running through all of them, through all combinations.  I wish someone would simply report on the thing so I could lay this thought process to rest.  I wish the same for the man.  That he can be laid to rest.

1 comment:

  1. intense, well written posts here, kyle. i'm enjoying reading along even through the toughies. keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete