Thursday, September 16, 2010

This I Believe

In the 1950s there used to be a program called This I Believe.  It was a radio program that invited people of all walks of life to share the beliefs that guided their lives.  In 2004 it was revived as a non-profit organization that is dedicated to the same task. 

You can hear selected essays from the database on public radio, but they also have a pretty impressive web presence here: http://thisibelieve.org/.  I've always enjoyed the essays I've been fortunate enough to catch on the radio and so one day I sat down and decided that I was going to contribute to the online database. 

I got an email today saying that my essay had been accepted and was being published online.  It's hard for me to read the essay.  I normally don't write nonfiction.  If I do, it's private.  I think this may be the only piece of nonfiction I have ever submitted.  Anyway, you can find it here: http://thisibelieve.org/essay/84102/.

I encourage everyone to write a "This I believe..." statement or essay.  It's a good exercise.  Often times it is hard to declare our beliefs.  We think we will be criticized for them or laughed at.  I see it in my students sometimes.  They are afraid of saying what they believe for fear of looking foolish or uncool.  I may give this to them as an exercise in the coming weeks.

1 comment:

  1. Kyle - That is FANTASTIC news! And a big deal to be published by them, too. Hopefully they'll run a hyperlink back to your blog or website. I'm going to read your essay right now. Congrats! Oh, and BTW - the Feedblitz posts are still coming in with just the first few lines of text...
    ~KS

    ReplyDelete