Monday, September 27, 2010

The Strength of a Woman

My wife is amazing. 

I could probably end the post right there.  Not many people who know her would argue, but I'll lay out my reasons here because its good to say nice things to our loved ones.  Let me tell you the story of this weekend and I'll let you be the judge.

Friday I helped my father move and so wasn't home until late.  My wife, after a long day's work, went shopping for a dinner party on Saturday, picked up our daughter, and got her home and down for the night.  She then went about the first wave of preparations for house guests.

When I woke on Saturday, she was set and ready to go in the yard.  She dug up a tree, planted four or five new ones, weeded, cleaned, cooked, took care of our daughter, and was a gracious and willing companion as we set about having our "interesting" sightseeing tour (see earlier post for additional details).  She was warm and cordial to my brother, his fiance, and our friends.  She made sure everyone had their every need attended to and she made it all seem easy.

On Sunday she woke up and entertained again.  She was a loving (although tired) wife and partner as we set about having a family dinner for my father's birthday.  Every moment of her time was filled with obligations and chores, but she navigated the entire weekend with a grace and class that I've always admired about her.  She transitions from having her arms up to their elbows in dirt to a wine bar where she's finding deals on Oregon Pinots.

I'm always amazed at how well she navigates all her roles.  This blog is a meditation on roles.  Most of the time it is my roles that I'm looking at but today my wife deserves some love, credit, and kudos.  She's a beautiful woman, a fantastic mother, a loving friend, a caring daughter, and a role model for both me and my daughter.  I love you, baby.  Thanks for everything.

1 comment:

  1. Kyle, lovin' your blog and especially like this one! To know Tracy and see her 'in action' is to be amazed like watching a very skilled magician.

    Keep the thoughts coming!

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete