Saturday, August 28, 2010

Hello Darkness, My Old Friend

It's been a while since I've had to commute home at 4:30 am.  There's something mystical and magical about being on the roads at this hour.  I drive 99E like I have a million times before, but when it's at 4 am and the roads are empty, it's different.

The world opens up for the 4 am driver.  There's rarely another car on the road and they rarely seem to be driving close to me.  I have a giant bubble of personal space around my car.  I'm unhinged from company or communion with other drivers.  I don't have to concern myself with spacial awareness as much and I find my eyes drifting up to the night sky.

I don't have the best night vision.  It sucks, but its true, so I rarely find myself gazing at the night sky while I drive.  I'm too afraid of other cars pulling up short in front of me or someone stepping off the curb and into my lane.  But at 4 am one is given the license to look up. 

The night is partly cloudy and the clouds don't seem to retain a glimpse of grey.  The patches of light stars behind them peek out as if shy.  I'm listening to the world news on the BBC and I'm struck with new ideas, new inspirations. 

I'm a night writer, almost always have been, and I find that my ideas flow best under the cover of darkness.  It's been a while since I paid attention, but I'm glad I did tonight because it brought me back to the computer this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment