Friday, August 20, 2010

An Afternoon

My daughter calls Fridays "You and Me Day" because I've had the luxury of having Fridays off for the last school year.  We do all kinds of things just the two of us.  We go to parks, the mall, playgrounds, shopping, etc.  She loves these days.  The secret is I do too.  Well, I can't even say its that much of a secret.  I LOVE these days.

Today, we went to the water park near our house.  Looking out the window, I thought the day was perfect for a little water park fun.  The sun was out, the sky was clear and it appeared warm at first glance.  By the time we walked to the water park, we were warm, but the breeze had started to kick up.  When we got into the water it soon became quite cold and I wanted to get Shea out of the water pretty quickly.  I didn't want her to catch a chill.  That's right, I said "catch a chill" like I'm a housewife from the Donna Reed show, but guess what...don't care.  That's what I was thinking.

In order to get a child away from a water park attraction, one must think creatively.  Often this is a process of replacing one form of fun for another.  Lucky for me there was a t-ball field next to the water park.  The next twenty minutes was spent pitching imaginary baseballs to Shea while she ran the bases for home runs.  She was hilarious.  She'd stand ON home plate waiting for me to pitch the ball, then she would swing and take off for first.  Half the time she would run around the bases instead of touching them, so I would make her go back and do it again.  She was a good sport about it.

There are many people who are disparaging about the process of parenthood and the "sacrifices" one must make in order to raise a child.  Well, I hope they are having fun at the office jobs, having dull conversations, because today I got to play home run derby with my daughter like I was the one who was three.  Beat that.

No comments:

Post a Comment