Thursday, August 12, 2010

A Long Weekend in the Woods

I've put everything but the coolers into the Volkswagen.  We are ready to go.  I sent out the last bit of feedback I needed to get done and I am ready to get the heck out of Dodge.  The nostalgia I feel when I drive my 1978 Volkswagen Westfalia is tangible.  There is something that hearkens me back to my adolescence or young adulthood that is absolutely addicting. 

Heading to the woods has something to do with it too.  When I'm camping I feel like I'm returning to an earlier way of life.  I don't have commitments, time frames, deadlines...nothing.  It's nice.  I might drink a beer at noon.  I might jump in the river.   I might wile away an entire afternoon reading a book.  Yes, a book!  I've brought along three books that have NOTHING to do with my teaching.  They are pleasure books, books I want to read, things that intrigue me and I'm excited to get to one of them.  I couldn't make up my mind so I piled all of them  into the bus.

I've also brought one of my old journals.  It's been a while since I've written with pen and paper and it also makes me feel young.  It makes me feel like that earlier aspiring version of myself.  It should be a good weekend.  Tracy's excited, Shea's excited, and, if you couldn't tell already, I'm excited.  Goodbye civilization, I'm off to feed my spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment