Tuesday, August 10, 2010

In class essay test

The hands on the clock are sliding past the minutes at a glacial pace.  I am giving an essay test right now and all of my students are diligently writing on loose leaf paper.  I've never given a test like this before and I'm curious about the results.  I've given them the prompts in advance so they should have something that resembles a thesis by the time they are done writing but one never can tell.

I'm teaching Intro to Expository Writing for the first time and I find the students at this level to be truly charming.  They have a real sense of wonder about them and a very real sense of anxiety.  When I get them writing about things they like the words on the page take off.  Sure, they may be misspelled, but they are poetic, vibrant and full of voice.  There is a certain joie de vivre about them and about their writing that I almost envy.  They are all passion and enthusiasm.  They slit their wrists and bleed across the page.  Each sentence seems to carry the weight of a first telling.  I work so hard to simply get them to put one word after another on the page and once they do, it's lovely.  They feel they've expressed themselves in a new way.  I want to open this door for them.  I want to give them some of my love of writing.  I want them to walk out the door and to feel the elation I feel at a particularly astute turn of phrase.

Here's to hoping.

No comments:

Post a Comment