Friday, August 27, 2010

Eating Animals

The Summer Text for all incoming freshman at Pacific University this year was Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer.  It's a fascinating text that suffers some significant problems but works very hard to encapsulate the argument of animal rights and animal welfare in one man's journey to do what is right for his son.  If looked at in this way, I found the book fascinating.  I love the idea that one father, in an effort to do right for his son, was willing to go to the lengths that Foer went in this book.  Three years of research is an act of love, people.  I don't care who you are, you have to love someone to engage with a subject on that level.

So, I find myself in a weird place.  I don't know if I can eat meat any more.  As I was halfway through the book I rationalized with myself that I could eat meat that was humanely raised and processed, but I'm not sure if that exists.  Also, if I open the door that little bit, am I really opening the door to a backslide?  We know how well I do with temptation.  Anyone want a cigarette?  Although I joke, I'm kind of serious.  This issue is now weighing pretty heavy on me and I don't know what I can do about it.

Becoming a vegetarian would have far reaching effects because I am a part of a family and I feel uncomfortable asking the family to make the same changes.  And yet, what are we going to do?  Make separate meals?  It's a problem.

So, for now I have to sit here and do the best I can.  I think I'm going to try to eat as veggie as I can for right now, see if it is a feasible lifestyle for me (although convenience can't be the deal breaking vote), and then make up my mind in the coming days, weeks, months.

If you don't want to think about issues like this.  DON'T.  READ.  THIS.  BOOK!

No comments:

Post a Comment